Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler Review For 2023
Disclosure: I am compensated for purchases made through some links on this site. Click for details.
The Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler inflatable kayak is an extra-rugged version of the FastTrack Series designed with the avid fisherman in mind. Built of 2000 Denier reinforced protective layers, quadruple overlapped seams, and a double floor system, the hull is nearly indestructible.
Perfect for flatwater fishing yet designed for up to Class II whitewater, the 385fta FastTrack Angler gets you to more fishing locations. Paddle from a put-in to your favorite fishing spot or carry it deflated in its carry bag to remote fishing spots you could only dream of reaching in a hardshell fishing kayak.
Two main features to look for in a fishing kayak are stability and secure footing. The 385fta FastTrack Angler has you covered with its spacious, reinforced, non-slip deck and super stable design.
The deck floor of this kayak is reinforced with a top layer of additional 1000 denier fabric for superior rigidity and protection against hooks, sharp fins, abrasions, and other abuse, plus a strip of non-slip EVA foam padding adds extra comfort and secure footing for those who choose to stand up to fish.
This kayak has a plethora of fishing features: four built-in rod holders, bow and stern spray skirts with bungee cords and holders for your tools, hooks, and lures, 36″ fish rulers side tubes, rear skeg for improved tracking on flatwater, a maximum load capacity of 635 lbs, and 2 open and close, self-bailing drain valves.
Not sure if the 385fta is right for you? Check out the Best Sea Eagle Kayaks For 2023 with Buyer’s Guide.
For a better understanding of the whitewater rating system, visit American Whitewater.
Pros and Cons of Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler Inflatable Fishing Kayaks
- Innovative design
- No need for roof racks
- No costly boat, trailer, fuel, or ramp fees
- Reduced carbon footprint
- Avoid crowded boat ramps
- Fits in the trunk of your car
- Compactly stores away when not in use
- Excellent quality that is built to last through years of abuse
- One of the safest kayaks on the market
- External, state-of-the-art, high-pressure, inflatable, drop-stitch, keel at the bow for improved tracking and faster, smoother paddling
- Removable skeg that firmly attaches with a retaining clip
- Handles a 12″ draft without having to take off the skeg
- Stealthily glides straight on the water when you stop paddling
- The removable rigid, high-pressure, drop-stitch floor increases structural integrity, removes flex, and forms a stable, flat surface on which you can stand comfortably.
- The removable inflatable floor makes cleaning easier
- Top-quality air valves located in the bow of the kayak are easy to access and simple to service or replace
- Impossible to overinflate with the included pump that limits inflation to the proper PSI
- Sun and saltwater-resistant hull material
- Comfortable for one or two fishermen
- Abundant in fishing features
- High load capacity of 3 persons or 635 lbs. (Learn more about the weight limits of kayaks.)
- Ample storage with two people, plenty of legroom, and can carry gear for a multiday trip.
- Extremely durable 1000 Denier reinforced hull material with quadruple overlapped seams is thicker and more durable than other inflatable kayaks
- The kayak is NOT made of PVC air bladders covered in a denier shell. This improves weight and makes maintenance easier.
- The FastTrack’s smaller side chambers provide a low profile that reduces its chance of being blown around in high winds
- Front and rear spray skirts
- Quick inflation and easy setup
- Plenty of discount packages to choose from
- Ample number of accessories for customization
- Available tall back kayak seat with a low center of gravity and 4 adjustable straps improves stability and provides great back support
- 120-day risk-free trial
- 3-year limited warranty against any manufacturing defects
- Available 3-Year extended hull warranty
- Superb customer support
- Setup video in addition to printed instructions
- Not great in whitewater. It has a whitewater rating suitable up to Class II and lacks the maneuverability, floor drains, and more found in the Class IV-rated 380x Explorer.
- This top-of-the-line kayak commands a higher price
- There is a performance decrease in inflatable kayaks when underinflated.
- No dry storage. A dry bag is needed or you might opt for the Sea Eagle Multi-Purpose Kayak Storage Box
- The skeg needs to be removed to improve maneuverability on rougher water
- The standard AB30 and AB40 paddles can get heavy over time. Luckily, at 2.4 lbs each, the AB50 carbon fiber paddles are half the weight of the AB40.
About the Sea Eagle FastTrack Series of Inflatable Kayaks
The Sea Eagle FastTrack series of inflatable kayaks are extremely well designed. The combination of FastTrack’s sleek, curved, touring shape and state-of-the-art “NeedleKnife Keel” provide a faster, smoother paddling experience than ever before!
The FastTrack’s large side tubes, rigid “NeedleKnife” molds at both bow and stern, and high-pressure Drop-Stitch keel provide a cleaner entry and exit through the water. These features allow FastTrack kayaks to paddle faster and easier with greater glide in a wide variety of open water conditions including waves, currents, and wind.
In addition to its performance, FastTracks provide true rigid kayak performance with the benefits of an inflatable kayak. They are a dream to lift in comparison to their hardshell counterpart which can weigh twice as much.
Best of all, FastTracks are inflatable making them easy to pack, store, and transport! No more struggling with roof racks! These Sea Eagle kayaks fit in the trunk of your car. Want to take your kayak on vacation? No problem! With the use of its carry bag, you can check any Sea Eagle kayak as luggage on a plane. How cool is that?!
Certifications: Sea Eagle FastTrack fishing kayaks are certified by the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) confirming that the FastTrack lineup of kayaks has been manufactured to meet the American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) standards for design, construction, and safety.
- Sea Eagle FastTrack Kayaks Compared
- Sea Eagle 385ft FastTrack Review
- Sea Eagle 465ft FastTrack Review
Top, Front, and Side Views
(compare all Sea Eagle kayaks and canoes)
|Best Use||Flatwater Lakes, Ocean Bays, Marshes, Calm Rivers, Whitewater up to Class II rapids|
|Skill Level||Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced|
|Cockpit Type||Sit-on-Top / Open Cockpit|
|Seating Configuration||Solo, Tandem|
|Paddler Size||Up to Large Adult|
|Hull Weight||45 lbs|
|Interior||11′ 7″ x 18″|
|Load Capacity||2 Person or 635 lbs|
|Deflated||36″ x 15″ x 20″|
|Chambers||4 (Port, Starboard, Floor, Keel)|
|Air Valves||4 Recessed, One-Way Air Valves|
|Inflation time||7 min|
|Seam||Quadruple Overlapped Seams|
|Material||1000 Denier Reinforced with 2000 Denier Reinforced Sections|
|Floor||Removable, High-Pressure, Drop-Stitch Floor with non-slip EVA foam padding|
|Drain Valves||2 Open and Close Drain Valves|
|Whitewater Rating||Up to Class II|
|Inflation Pressure||3.2 psi|
|Engine Capacity||34 lb Thrust, Electric Motor (max engine weight 15 lbs)|
|Warranty||Limited 3-Year (standard), 3-Year Extended (extra)|
Let’s look at some popular features of the Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler inflatable kayak…
- NMMA Certified
- Sun and saltwater-resistant hull made of more durable 29% thicker 1000 denier material
- Reinforced side walls and bottom with 2000 denier for extra protection
- Combination of double-reinforced, welded/glued seams
- Separate, removable, high-pressure, reinforced, drop-stitch floor with non-slip EVA foam padding to prevent punctures from fish and hooks and to prevent slipping when stand-up fishing
- Outside, state-of-the-art, high-pressure, inflatable, drop-stitch, NeedleKnife keel at the bow for improved tracking and faster, smoother paddling
- Customized front and rear spray skirts with built-in rod, tool, hook and lure holders, carrying handles, storage space below the skirts, and bungee cord lacing on top for storing additional gear above
- 18 D-rings to secure seats, accessories, and gear
- Separate inner, high-pressure, drop-stitch floor for greater rigidity and stability
- Large, removable, sweptback, rear skeg for improved tracking and speed during flatwater touring
- Built-in fish rulers on the side tubes
- Custom hunter green color to blend in with surroundings
- 4 Recessed, one-way air valves
- 2 Open and close drain valves
- Whitewater rating up to Class II rapids
- Nylon carry bag
- Repair kit
- Printed owner’s manual with instructions
For a wealth of additional information, check out the FastTrack Angler Owner’s Manual. (Download PDF: 3.2MB)
The following key features set the Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler inflatable kayak apart from the competition and deserve closer attention.
Rigid, Drop-Stitch, Inflatable NeedleKnife Keel
The Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler inflatable kayak has a unique external, rigid, drop-stitch, inflatable NeedleKnife keel. This high-performance design makes a noticeable difference in this kayak’s performance by allowing the FastTrack to paddle far faster and straighter than other inflatable kayaks.
The keel design features sharp bow and stern molds that efficiently cuts through wind, currents, and waves for an impressively fast and super clean entry and exit! This design also provides buoyancy and lift to improve speed whether paddling or using an electric motor.
Sleek, Asymmetrical Shape
The Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler inflatable kayak has a high-performance, asymmetrical shape. Its sleek design is tapered and narrow at the bow while being wider at the stern giving it the ability to cut through waves faster and easier while providing buoyancy at the set positions where it’s most needed.
Drop-Stitch Floor Provides Double Protection
The Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler inflatable kayak has a unique modular design featuring an extremely rigid, high-pressure, drop-stitch floor that fits on top of an outer floor to increase structural integrity.
This floor design provides great rigidity yielding unparalleled responsiveness while the reinforced, outside, fabric floor provides a double layer of protection to bounce off rocks, logs, and other objects leaving the extremely durable FastTrack Angler unscathed.
The creation of the drop-stitch floor involves the joining of two layers of poly-based fabric with tens of thousands of fine polyester threads. This forms the base layer of the floor to which an air-tight coating is applied. The result after inflation is a flat, rigid surface that greatly improves the stability and performance of the inflatable kayak.
The modular design also allows quick and easy removal of the drop-stitch floor for cleaning. It’s so much easier to thoroughly clean in the crevices of an inflatable kayak when the floor can be removed.
Removable Skeg for Flat Water
Another important design feature of the Sea Eagle FastTrack Angler inflatable kayak is the large, removable, center skeg at the rear of the kayak which can easily be removed whether inflated or deflated to accommodate different water conditions and ease of storage.
Remove the kayak skeg for whitewater or shallow water kayaking. You don’t want to be dragging the skeg along water bottoms, especially on rocky river bottoms.
For maximum paddling efficiency on flatwater, replace the skeg for reduced yawing, that annoying rotation to the left and right as you paddle. The skeg is an extremely important feature for improved tracking during long flatwater touring.
Customized Front & Rear Spray Skirts
The customized front & rear spray skirts of the 385fta FastTrack Angler have built-in rod holders, tool holders, hook and lure holders, and sturdy carrying handles. They also have bungee cord lacing on top for additional storage and allow plenty of storage underneath the skirts as well.
Built-in 36″ Fish Ruler
The 385fta FastTrack Angler has a built-in 36″ Fish Ruler conveniently located on each sidewall. There’s no need to break out your measuring tape to confirm a legal catch and having a handy ruler also allows for a faster catch and release which is safer for the fish you don’t intend to keep.
Non-Slip, EVA Foam, Protective Floor Pad
The floor of an inflatable fishing kayak can encounter a lot of abuse. The Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler has a reinforced deck floor with an EVA foam protective pad for a non-slip surface with superior rigidity and protection against sharp fins, hooks, and abrasions.
Sea Eagle has designed the 385fta FastTrack Angler inflatable kayak extra protection against sharp fins, hooks, and abrasions by reinforcing the black, side tube sections with nearly indestructible 2000 denier fabric.
Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler Discount Kayak Packages
The discount kayak packages for the Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler inflatable kayak are designed to accommodate the needs of different types of paddlers and fishing styles. The basic accessories of each package are the dual-action auto two-stage pump with pressure gauge, repair kit, kayak carrying bag, and easy-to-store kayak paddle(s) with drip rings for staying dry.
The quality of the seat, paddle, and accessories change between packages.
Want an electric motor for your inflatable fishing kayak? Though they aren’t included in many of the discount kayak packages, they are available for purchase. I’ll cover the electric motor and mount options after the discount packages.
There is no included foot pump in the 2023 packages instead they have upgraded to the dual-action auto two-stage pump in place of the foot pump. This is a much better and more efficient pump.
Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler – Deluxe Solo Angler Package
The Deluxe Solo Angler Package (Model Number 385FTAK_DS) is the perfect entry-level option for the avid fisherman. It has everything you need to get out there fishing and fast!
- 385fta FastTrack Hull
- Deluxe Inflatable Seat – Green
- AB30 7’10” Four-Part Paddle
- Dual Action Auto Two-Stage Pump w/ Pressure Gauge
- Slide-In Swept Back Skeg
- Repair Kit
- Green Kayak Carry Bag
Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler – Pro Angler Package
The Pro Angler Package (Model Number 385FTAK_P) is set up as a tandem fishing kayak but can be used as a solo kayak too. It features two Tall Back Seats for greater back support and comfort, a must if you have back issues like me.
The Tall Back Seat and four-part, high-performance, kayak paddle that comes with this package are perfect for reducing fatigue on longer paddling trips. Want to further reduce fatigue? Consider adding an electric motor.
You will sit a little lower in the Tall Back Seat, which improves stability and protects you from the wind. If the low seating position, is not in line with your fishing style, you’ll want to stand up to fish or opt for the next option, the Swivel Seat Fishing Rig Kayak Package.
Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler – Swivel Seat Fishing Rig Package
The Swivel Seat Fishing Rig Package (Model Number 385FTAK_FR) takes the 385fta to a whole new level! You’ll sit higher and can swivel 360° to get the best angle when landing your prize catch.
Sitting higher is an advantage for many fishing styles.
Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler – Pro Motor Fishing Rig Package
The Pro Motor Fishing Rig Package (Model Number 385FTAK_PMFR) is a true fishing machine that you’ll love for years! Cover more water or race to your favorite fishing spot with the Watersnake Asp T24 Kayak Motor.
Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler – Bixpy Motor Package
The Bixpy Motor Package (Model Number 385FTAK_BX) is set up as a tandem fishing kayak with Bixpy motor that can also be paddled solo.
The ultralight Bixpy J-2 PowerShroud outboard motor attaches to the skeg track by use of a slide-n-lock skeg adaptor. This motor has 12 forward speeds and 3 reverse speeds, 33lb of thrust, and runs at top speed for about 80 minutes and up to 12 hours at slower speeds.
The Bixpy motor is operated by the use of a wristband remote control while steering is accomplished by the use of the paddle.
Electric Motors for the Sea Eagle 385 FastTrack Angler Inflatable Kayak
An electric motor on a fishing boat can be a huge plus. Fishing kayaks are no exception.
In order to mount an electric motor to a 385fta FastTrack Angler inflatable kayak, you’ll need a Sea Eagle Motormount (Item Number: MMKAYAK).
Once you have the motor mount installed on your kayak, attaching one of three recommended electric motors is simple.
- Watersnake Venom SX 34lb Thrust Electric Motor for Fresh and Saltwater
- Watersnake Asp T24 Electric Motor for Fresh and Saltwater
- Minn Kota Endura 30 for Freshwater
Personal Flotation Device (PFD): Always carry a United States Coast Guard (USCG) approved PFD and children under 12 should always wear a PFD. PFDs are a boating safety necessity and required by law on government waters.
Dry Bags: The FastTrack 385fta fishing kayak lacks a watertight storage area making dry bags necessary for keeping gear safe and dry.
Popular Accessories for the Sea Eagle 385 FastTrack Angler
There are a lot of great accessories that can be added to the 385 FastTrack Angler. Here are some popular ones you might consider.
There’s always something we want to keep dry secure and off the bottom of the lake or river. Dry bags are the answer for keeping your wallet, lunch, clothes, medications, and more safe and dry while out on the water.
I have Sea to Summit Big River Dry Bags though there are many reputable brands to pick from at outfitters like OutdoorPlay, Backcountry, and even Amazon.
Scotty accessories are incredibly popular. Fishing rod holders, cup holders, Go Pro mounts, mounts for fish finders, and more… Scotty has you covered. Just attach your desired accessory to one of the two Universal Scotty Mounting Pads.
If Sea Eagle Boats doesn’t carry the Scotty accessory you’re looking for, OutdoorPlay will.
The BTP Two-Stage Electric Turbo Pump with Battery can make inflation even easier. There are two versions of the pump with or without the battery. The one you need will depend on where you’ll be pumping up your FastTrack.
Sea Eagle EZ-Cart
If you are by yourself or have to go far to get to your put-in, a EZ-Cart will be of great help especially if you have your boat loaded with gear.
Mushroom Anchor Kit
The Mushroom Anchor Kit includes an 8 lb. PVC-coated anchor and 25 ft. of rope that can be used with the Scotty Anchor Lock or tied to a carry handle.
Minn Kota Trolling Motor Power Center
If you plan to use an electric motor with your Sea Eagle, I’d recommend the Minn Kota Trolling Motor Power Center. The Power Center fits 24 and 27-size batteries and allows easy access to external battery terminals without the need to open the box to access the battery directly.
The Power Center includes:
- LED battery meter display
- Two 12-volt cigarette lighter-style plugs for accessories
- Two manual reset circuit breakers. A 15 amp for the accessory plugs and a 60 amp for the trolling motor.
Fish finders like these from Bass Pro Shops are great for upgrading your fishing game. Easily attach a fish finder to the Universal Scotty Pads with the appropriate Scotty Universal Sounder Mount and Transducer Arm Mount.
Sea Eagle FastTrack Angler Instructional Video
The following video demonstrates the ease of setup and inflation of a FastTrack kayak.
Who Are Sea Eagle Boats?
Sea Eagle Boats is a family-owned and run company located in New York. They have had a stellar reputation for making high-quality inflatable boats since 1968 and each of the boats in their lineup is a testimony to their excellence in the inflatable boat industry.
Sea Eagle Boats are lightweight, extremely durable, compact, easy to carry and transport, and above all fun! These inflatable boats pack down into carrying bags and can be stowed as luggage when traveling or stored in a car, SUV, van, truck, RV, or yacht. You can get Sea Eagles to almost any body of water for leisure, recreation, fishing, tending, rescue, and more.
If you’d like to learn more, I’ve put together the Best Sea Eagle Kayaks For 2023 with Buyer’s Guide. In this guide, I ranked and reviewed the best Sea Eagle inflatable kayaks, along with my top 5 choices, so you can pick the best one.
Sea Eagle Guarantee and Warranties
4-Month Trial Guarantee: Try a Sea Eagle Risk-Free for 120 days! “If you’re not totally happy with your boat, just return it in good condition for a full refund of your purchase price.”
3-Year Limited Warranty: 3-year limited warranty against any manufacturing defects.
3-Year Extended Hull Warranty: In addition to the limited 3-year warranty, Sea Eagle offers a 3-Year Extended Hull Warranty to give you 6 years of total warranty against any manufacturing defects.
Sea Eagle 385fta Reviews Conclusion
The Sea Eagle 385fta FastTrack Angler inflatable kayak is one of the best-made inflatable kayaks available and a wonderful choice for the beginner to the advanced paddler who’s looking to get out on the water and fish alone or in tandem.
This two-person inflatable kayak is designed with rigidity, excellent tracking performance, and top-notch speed that rivals any hardshell fishing kayak, yet in comparison, it’s lightweight, easily transportable, and compactly stores away in a corner of the garage or closet in your home.
The FastTrack kayak’s best use is for flatwater or slow-moving rivers of Class II or less. They don’t handle rougher waters well. The Sea Eagle 350fx fishing Explorer would be better if you are looking for an inflatable fishing kayak that can handle up to Class IV rapids.
The folks at Sea Eagle are a talented bunch of kayakers and fishermen who have been designing and building inflatable kayaks since 1968. They know how to build a quality fishing kayak that will provide you with years of fun!