Disclosure: I am compensated for purchases made through some links on this site. Click for details.
Doing some paddle boarding? Whether you’re heading out for a leisurely paddle on a calm lake, an ocean, or river, you only need a few items in addition to the Ten Essentials. This SUP Gear Checklist will help you plan a much safer and enjoyable excursion.
Essential SUP Gear
- Inflatable or Hard Stand Up Paddle Board
- Pump (if using an inflatable SUP)
- SUP Paddle
- Life Jacket (PFD)
- SUP Leash
- Rescue Whistle
- Waterproof Headlamp: Needed if caught out after dark. It happens! And getting a headlamp that’s waterproof is a must. It’s going to get submerged at some point.
What to Wear Paddle Boarding
You’ve heard the saying, “Dress for the weather.” Well, that’s wrong when it comes to paddlesports. In paddlesports, you dress for the water, not the air temperature. Always plan on entering the water. Being wet and cold can easily lead to hypothermia.
In warmer water and air temperatures, wear clothing that dries quickly. Polyester and other synthetic fabrics will dry faster than cotton. It’s just more comfortable when your clothes dry faster and you really want fast-drying clothes when the water and/or air are cool.
In cold water and air temperatures, wear clothing that insulates.
- Swimsuit or Bikini
- Swim Trunks
- Paddling Pants
- Paddling Shorts
- Paddling Tops
- Paddling Wetsuits
- Paddling Drysuits
- Paddling Drytops
- Paddling Jackets
- Paddling Gloves & Pogies
- Paddling Hats & Head Gear
- Water Shoes and Sandals
- Water Socks
- Neoprene Booties
Recommended Personal Items
- Water-Resistant Sunscreen (SPF 30+)
- Water-Resistant Lip balm (SPF 30+)
- Sunglasses with polarized lenses: Polarized lenses can be a plus for reducing bright reflections and unwanted glare.
- Retainer for sunglasses
- Water Bottles or Hydration Reservoir
- Food and Snacks
- First-Aid Kit
- Insect Repellent
- GoPro with a suction cup mount
- A small amount of cash and possibly a credit card or debit card.
- Waterproof ruck case for your cellphone, maps, and money
- Two Towels: One for you. One for drying your board.
Other Possible SUP Gear
You may need additional gear. This depends on your adventure and how you use your paddle board.
- Paddling Helmet
- Paddle Leash
- Deck Bag
- Dry Bags
- Anchor Kit
- Attachment System with temporary lashing points for multiple uses
- SUP Strap Carry System
- SUP Transport Cart and Stand
- Tow Line
- Paddling Throw Ropes
- Car Racks
- Storage Racks
- Straps & Tie Downs
- GPS Device
- Two-Way Radios
- Maps and a Map Case (to keep maps dry)
- Seat (if you have one for your paddleboard like those from Sea Eagle)