Disclosure: I am compensated for purchases made through some links on this site. Click for details.
The Itiwit X500 V2 Dropstich Inflatable Kayak has generated quite a buzz. It’s an inflatable touring sit-inside kayak with a hull made of drop-stitch technology. This is a unique design for the inflatable kayak industry.
Innovation and Design: The Itiwit X500 V2 is the result of 30 months of innovation and development, involving the creation of seven prototypes. A collaborative effort between engineers, naval architects, and product managers, the kayak’s design focuses on achieving rigidity and performance in an inflatable form. Its unique blend of materials and patented cut shape ensure both rigidity on the water and compact storage in a backpack.
What’s in a Name: You will find the Itiwit X500 drop-stitch kayak under a few name variations. There is also an Itiwit X500 Inflatable Adventure Stand-Up Paddle SUP Board 13′. So the name Itiwit X500 isn’t specific to the kayak. Let me list a few of the names you’ll find this kayak under so there’s no confusion.
- Decathlon Itiwit Adult X500 V2 Dropstich High-Pressure Adventure 1-Person Inflatable Kayak
- Decathlon Itiwit X500
- Itiwit Strenfit X500
- Itiwit X500 V2 Inflatable Kayak
- Itiwit X500 One-Person Inflatable Kayak
You may find this kayak listed under other name variations and there is also a Decathlon Itiwit X500 2-person inflatable kayak if you want to paddle tandem.
I’m excited to tell you more about the Itiwit X500 inflatable kayak. Let’s look at this inflatable to find out if it’s the right boat for you.
Pros and Cons of the Decathlon Itiwit X500
- Hardshell performance in an inflatable
- Excellent performance in flatwater conditions
- Impressive styling and design
- Easy to transport and store
- Lightweight and easy to shoulder carry or with its carry handles
- Plenty of legroom
- Has footpegs
- Good size storage hatch
- No bulkhead to separate the rear storage from the cockpit
- Getting into the dry bag-type storage opening while seated is a little challenging
Decathlon Itiwit X500 Technical Specifications
|Best Use||Calm Rivers, Whitewater Rivers, Lakes, Ocean, Bays, Camping|
|Skill Level||Intermediate – Advanced|
|Cockpit Type||Sit-In / Closed Cockpit|
|Paddler Size||Up to Large Adult|
|Load Capacity||1 Person or 275 lbs|
|Hull Weight||35.3 lbs (16 kg)|
|Dimensions||12’6” L × 25.2” W|
|Deflated in Bag||37″ H × 19.7” W × 10.6” D|
|Chambers||3 (Port, Starboard, Floor)|
|Air Valves||3 Recessed, One-Way Bravo Air Valves (Halkey-Roberts (HR) Style)|
|Inflation Pressure||10 PSI (0.7 bar)|
|Inflation time||3 minutes|
|Material||PVC coated Drop-Stitch|
|Grab Handles||2 (bow, stern)|
- Rigid Portability: Experience the convenience of a rigid kayak with lightweight construction that can be effortlessly packed into a backpack, redefining your kayaking adventures.
- Drop Stitch Technology: Crafted with state-of-the-art drop-stitch technology, this portable inflatable kayak offers uncompromised rigidity and performance, providing an experience akin to traditional hardshell kayaks.
- V-Shape Hull: Glide effortlessly through the water with the V-shaped hull, which minimizes water friction and enhances maneuverability.
- Quick Inflation: Thanks to the high-pressure Bravo valve setup is a breeze. You can inflate this kayak to its optimal 10 PSI (0.7 bar) in just 3 minutes with a double-action hand pump (sold separately).
- Ample Storage: The rear hatch provides convenient storage, allowing you to carry essential gear and supplies.
- Customized Comfort: A dense EVA foam seat provides maximum comfort while adjustable footrests in the spacious cockpit can be adjusted to your individual preference.
- Year-Round Paddling: Attaching a spray skirt to the cockpit coaming makes the Itiwit X500 suitable for paddling in all seasons.
- Built to Last: Reinforcements in high-friction areas ensure the kayak’s longevity and durability, so you can paddle for years with confidence.
- Quick Dry: This waterproof kayak is designed for easy post-paddle cleanup. Simply dry it with a towel after your adventure.
The Itiwit X500 Inflatable Kayak scores high marks in portability. This 35-pound inflatable kayak is a breeze to carry and folds down into a backpack-style bag.
The backpack has well-padded hip and shoulder straps that adjust for carrying comfort.
With its 25-inch width V-shaped hull, the Itiwit Strenfit X500 kayak isn’t as stable as wider, flat-hull inflatable kayaks.
It’s primary stability is excellent though its secondary stability feels a little less comfortable when edging. Nothing that would cause intermediate paddlers concern.
The Decathlon Itiwit Strenfit X500 Inflatable Kayak matches the performance of hardshell touring kayaks and is one of the fastest inflatable kayaks on the market.
Its sleek design, V-shaped hull, and rigid drop-stitch construction allow it to cut through the water and glide with ease.
Its design provides excellent tracking as well without the need for a tracking fin that could get caught up on things and break off.
Though it is easy to maneuver the Itiwit X500 Kayak, its length and superb tracking mean it won’t turn on a dime. You can make tighter turns with a few aggressive sweeps.
There is plenty of legroom in the Itiwit Strenfit X500 kayak.
Adjustable foot pegs offer great support and positioning of the knees to enhance stability and reduce paddling fatigue.
A dense EVA foam seat gets your butt off the floor of the kayak so you aren’t sitting in any water that enters the kayak. The density of the seat is comfortable enough though a cushier foam might provide some paddlers more comfort on longer paddles.
The ability to attach a spray skirt improves comfort by keeping you dry. Very useful when paddling in colder waters.
The Itiwit Strenfit X500 kayak is extremely durable and well-constructed with reinforced materials in high-wear areas.
The Itiwit X500 has standard touring kayak features:
- Carry handles
- Bungee storage
- Bow storage pouch for securing your paddle
- Perimeter straps instead of lines for grabbing hold of during self-rescues.
- Adjustable footrests
- Rear storage hatch with a dry bag-style opening
- Cockpit rim that accepts the Itiwit spray skirt
Note: The rear storage hatch is open to the cockpit. There is no bulkhead. Dry bags are needed to keep water off your gear.
Priced at $1300 USD, the Itiwit X500 kayak offers exceptional value. It’s competitively priced compared to hard-shell touring kayaks of similar quality. Some hardshell kayaks offer more comfort so you’ll sacrifice comfort in some cases for the benefit of portability, but if you prioritize ease of transport, this kayak is a fantastic choice.
A discount kayak package is not available. Needed and not included:
- Hand pump or electric pump
- Spray skirt
- Life jacket
Suggested Accessories for the Itiwit X500 Kayak
There are a lot of great accessories that we as paddlers may want. The following are the most necessary for use with the Itiwit X500 Inflatable Kayak.
PFDs are a boating safety necessity. They keep you alive and are required by law on government waters. Always take one with you!
There isn’t a hatch in this boat. Dry bags are the answer for keeping your wallet, lunch, clothes, medications, and more safe and dry while out on the water.
You can’t put a hard cooler on this kayak but my ICEMULE Classic Medium 15L works well on the back deck of the kayak.
An electric pump is the way to go if you want to speed up the inflation process and avoid wearing yourself out before getting on the water.
A high-pressure pump is required to inflate this kayak.
This boat’s standard package doesn’t come with a paddle. This paddle isn’t overly expensive, its weight won’t wear you out, and it easily adjusts to the perfect length for any paddler.
The Itiwit spray deck or other skirts made to fit narrow coaming can keep you dry and extend your kayaking season.
The Decathlon Difference
Established in Europe, Decathlon has been around for more than 40 years. They have expanded into North America, so you will hear a lot more about them.
Decathlon offers high-quality, sustainable, cost-effective products by focusing on research and development, state-of-the-art manufacturing, optimized supply chains, and minimal retail footprint.
Who is the Decathlon Itiwit X500 for?
This kayak was designed to meet the demands of kayakers who crave the performance of a rigid, hardshell kayak with the portability of an inflatable kayak. It’s perfect for those seeking speed and convenience of transport and storage.
This kayak is best suited for intermediate to advanced paddlers who want a versatile, fun-to-paddle kayak. It’s ideal for those looking to enjoy various water conditions, from calm lakes to class two possibly class three whitewater. While adventurous beginners might find it suitable, it’s not the best choice for absolute newcomers to kayaking.
Care & Storage
Proper care and storage will ensure the longevity of your Itiwit Strenfit X500 kayak.
- Rinse off your kayak with clean water after each use to remove residue, debris, and saltwater.
- Use a damp cloth to remove dirt or scuffs.
- Dry, deflate, fold up, and store your kayak in its bag in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight to avoid color fading and deterioration from UV rays.
FAQs in Relation to the Decathlon Itiwit X500 Kayak
This kayak uses a high-pressure Bravo valve. This is a Halkey-Roberts (HR) style valve. The same type valves found on most high-pressure iKayaks and iSUPs.
The inflation valves for the main chambers are found in the rear storage hatch. Inflate the floor chamber, then the side chambers, followed by the two smaller chambers in front and behind the cockpit. All the air chambers are inflated to 10 PSI max (0.7 bar). The HP Itiwit twin-action hand pump or a high-pressure electric pump can be used.
After inflating, insert the footrests on the flexible guides and adjust to your leg length with the buckle. Next, position the seat by fitting it onto the provided shims and position the backrests under the cockpit’s coaming.
Make sure the kayak is clean and dry. Remove the seat. Remove the footrests. To deflate the kayak, remove the valve cap then push down and twist the valve stem to the right. Leave the valve open to let air escape.
After disassembly and deflation, fold the kayak in half lengthwise at the keel to make sure the width of the kayak fits in the bag. Next, fold the bow and stern inward so the tips of each meet in the middle at the Itiwit logo. Then fold the kayak in half where the bow and stern meet. Finally, tuck the seat in this last fold and compress the kayak with its cinch strap so it fits securely in the bag.
Decathlon Itiwit Strenfit X500 Kayak Review Conclusion
Join the ranks of adventurers who refuse to be limited by conventional kayaks. The Itiwit X500 V2 Inflatable Kayak has a groundbreaking design that combines innovation, portability, and performance, allowing you to explore waters with ease.
If you’re looking for an inflatable sit-in kayak that doesn’t compromise on performance, this one deserves serious consideration!
Whether you’re exploring serene lakes, conquering rivers up to Class III rapids, or venturing into the open sea, the Itiwit X500 Inflatable Kayak is your ticket to year-round fun. Transport and carry it in its backpack, inflate it in minutes, and launch on your next adventure.
Feel free to share your experiences or ask questions in the comments below. Happy paddling!